New Pet for the New Apartment
You are living on your own for the first time and what to get a dog or a cat for your new place? Here are some tips for you!
1. Check your apartment’s pet policy! This is the most important step! Before you go and fall in love with something, make sure you are familiar with the apartment building’s pet policy. There might be a fee or breed restrictions. Now that you checked the policy and you got the dog or cat of your choice, make your apartment pet friendly!
2.Cover outlets and cords. You don’t want your new puppy to stick his cold wet nose in the outlet or have your kitten use exposed cords to sharpen their claws.
3. Make chew toys and scratching posts available at all times. You don’t want your new pet ruining your new furniture. Leaving these items out for your kitten or puppy will prevent damage in your apartment.
4.Declutter and use shelves Anything lying around your apartment a pet can get! Make sure you don’t leave anything that your pet can choke on lying around. You also want to put anything that can be easily knocked off a table on shelf out of reach of wagging tails.
5. Keep lids on all the trash cans to ensure you don’t come home to a mess.
6. People food doesn’t always mean pet food. Some foods can be harmful to pets, keeping food out of reach and put away will ensure that your pet won’t get sick from something they shouldn’t of ate.
7. Secure cabinets! To ensure your pet doesn’t digest cleaning products or anything that will make them sick, make sure your cabinets are always closed and pets can’t easily open them.
8. Keep the lids of toilets closed. When you clean your toilet, you use products that are most likely not safe for your pet.
9. Having a proper litter box for a cat. Making sure your cat likes and can access their litterbox is key for making them a happy home.
10. Having a crate for your dog If you are in the process of training a puppy, having a crate to keep them in while you are at work or at night will keep them from making a mess while you are gone.
11. One last major point is consistency is key! The more you work with your pet and keep them on a schedule the happier they will be!
Do you have photos of your pet in your apartment? We want to see them! Tag us on Instagram @farosresidential